GENERAL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
August 26, 2021
Steve Kowolonek – President
Mike Hoffman – Vice President
David Loerich – Treasurer
DL Wallace – Secretary
Holly McLaughlin – Area A
Aaron Wright – Area A
Illyana Long – Area A
Lovell Knight – Area B
Victoria King – Area B
Jason King – Area B
The Meeting was called to order by President Kowolonek, via Zoom Platform (due to COVID-19.)
The Pledge of Allegiance occurred.
A moment of Silence was observed for deceased members of UWUA Local 600.
Roll call was taken by Treasurer Loerich. All board members present.
A motion was made by Delegate Long to omit the reading of the minutes from July 22, 2021 and for all to review copy of minutes received via email draft for approval. Second by Delegate Victoria King. Motion passed. Approved. A copy of Minutes will be posted on the Local 600 website. www.uwualocal600.com
The financial Report was given by Treasurer Loerich. A motion was made by Vice-President Hoffman to except the reading of the financial report by Treasurer Loerich. Second by Delegate Knight. Motion passed. Approved. Copy of the Financial Report is on file at Local 600 office.
Communications – President Kowolonek
- Return to work email (COVID concerns) to company- concerns voiced by membership regarding rising number of COVID cases reported. Updates in September 2021.
- Information Request (to Company) possible violation of Arbitration #416 resolution- MY Time and SS9 questions/issues – Local 600 work (review if others processing.)
- Request meeting to discuss Control Tech II and III combination. Membership has concerns regarding member upgrades and the evaluations and Control Tech II & III at same wage scale.
Unfinished Business – President Kowolonek
- September 14, 2021 – to meet with Vistra members concerning the closing of Zimmer Generating Station. This will be an evening meeting to include UWUA Area Representative Kelly Cooper and the 4 – members at Zimmer and 3 members at Miami Fort. What are options and what is being offered to those affected in membership with closing.
- Inter- Union Gas Conference – President Kowolonek – Conference will be held October 3 – 8 2021 in New Orleans, Louisiana, has not been cancelled at this time, however amid COVID concerns other UWUA Locals have cancelled (175th in Dayton, Ohio.) Those scheduled to attend please notify President Kowolonek regarding plans to attend or cancel. Updates will follow if the entire conference is cancelled later.
- Union Training held, July 30th, 2021 – Feedback was very positive. Great training, Happy to have opportunity to train. UWUA National Representative Steve Wyatt did a great Job!
- Work from Home Issues – Review the agreement letter for understanding, this is a management decision regarding the number of days at home and office. UWUA Local 600 cannot re-negotiate on this decision in the workgroups.
- Grievance # 445 – Treasurer Loerich – Unfair Discipline – waiting on 2nd step of grievance process.
- NEW BUSINESS
- 2 Downtown Gas OC’s moving to Kellogg – Management decision to process a switch of locations.
- President Kowolonek – Meet with new hires/new UWUA Local 600 members (2-RSR’s, 2- OC’s, New Personnel GMS.)
- New Hires- when new members are hired (from outside Duke-Energy) those board members assigned to the work area can reach-out and meet these new members in the area they represent.
- Call Center – Quarterly Meeting – In attendance for UWUA Local 600, President Kowolonek, Delegate – V. King and Secretary Wallace. Discussion with Call Center Management and Labor Relations – Concerns with members being over-whelmed, new technology – soft phones, new system coming online, pay increases.
- Shirts for Board members – President Kowolonek has spoken with a union company – Blackout Tees (Eastgate area) to provide polos for board members that will have UWUA Local 600 logos
- REPORT OF OFFICERS, DELEGATES AND COMMITTEE
- Vice-President Hoffman – Scheduled By-Laws committee meeting 2 September 2021 at the union hall, meeting will begin at 3:30 pm.
- Secretary Wallace – UWUA Local 600 Women’s Caucus looking to partner with a community resource group located in the Newport Kentucky area on Columbia street. The group is working to provide resources to women in the area. A meeting is being scheduled to discuss possible volunteer opportunities for UWUA Local 600. President Kowolonek, Delegate McLaughlin and Secretary Wallace will meet with staff and provide an update to board.
- Treasurer Loerich – working on some issues in Meter reading will provide update when has more information to share.
- Delegate McLaughlin – Nominated and selected to appear the upcoming – UWUA National Women’s Caucus Calendar for 2022.
- Delegate Wright – Discussed Restore Apps testing for one (1) year – (using Apple technology) Out-of-Town Storms will use this same system/technology for training (has been a slow transition), DOMS system (interface for storms reporting.)
- Delegate Knight – Thanks for great training provided during Union Training workshop, received valuable information for roll within Union.
- Delegate Long – Thanks also and expressed same as Delegate Knight, regarding great and valuable training.
Delegate Long made a motion to adjourn. Second by Delegate Knight. Meeting adjourned.