Find UsUnion Hall, 810 Brighton, Newport KY 41071

March 2021

March 24, 2021

EXECUTIVES                                                                                                     

Steve Kowolonek – President

Mike Hoffman – Vice President

David Loerich – Treasurer

DL Wallace – Secretary

DELEGATES

Camille Waller – Area A

Holly McLaughlin – Area A

Aaron Wright – Area A

Lovell Knight – Area B

Victoria King – Area B

Jason King – Area B        

The Meeting was called to order by President Kowolonek, via teleconference (due to COVID-19.)

The Pledge of Allegiance occurred.

A moment of Silence was observed for deceased members of UWUA Local 600.

Roll call was taken by Treasurer Loerich.  Delegate Waller absent.  All other board members present.

A motion was made by President Kowolonek to postpone the reading of last month’s minutes until April 2021 board meeting.   

The financial Report was given by Treasurer Loerich.  A motion was made by Secretary Wallace to accept the Financial Report.  Second by Delegate Knight.   Vote to accept.  Motion passed.  Copy of the Financial Report is on file at Local 600 office.   

Communications – President Kowolonek – No new communications for the month.

Unfinished Business – President Kowolonek

  • Demotion Review – Delegate Wright – the requested information has not been received from management.  Discussion regarding training received and types of work done i.e.; (Sub-division work vs Zone work) and time spent in each. 
  • ES2 Work – Delegate Wright will continue to follow-up with those in membership doing this work and should any be up-graded for work being done.
  • Grievance #443 – Delegate Jason King – Received answer to 3rd stage – Delegate Jason King will discuss with member prior to next board meeting.  Will leave open for now and discussion at next meeting.
  • Grievance # 444 – Local 600 will ensure member is represented correctly during grievance process.
  • GIS – Delegate Wright – Discussion regarding GIS positions and automatic progression from 1 to 2.  Communication from membership who are doing the job – feedback was positive.  Not much in changes to testing.  Agreement signed with company 16 March 2021.  Those at level 2 will need to test to stay at this level (however would not be required to advance to level 3 if not desired.)
  • By-Laws Booklets – President Kowolonek – Was able to copy and re-create original to send to printing.  There were some minor corrections needed for spacing.  Total of 50 new booklets ordered.  Vice-President Hoffman will schedule a meeting with the By-Laws Committee over the next couple weeks.
  • Membership Meeting – President Kowolonek – Local 600 will have its next scheduled membership meeting Virtually via Zoom Meetings.  The Local will pay $15.00 per month to utilize this virtual format with up to 100 people being able to be on the platform at same time.  If the Local uses this format for membership meetings, those in membership will need to email their personal emails to the local.  A Robo call will be made and sent to the membership regarding.  We can plan to have membership meeting at our next scheduled month April 2021.

Delegate McLaughlin made a motion that our membership meeting be held in April 2021 using the Zoom Meetings Virtual Format.  Second by Delegate Jason King.  Discussion – When weather and issues with COVID improve, will have a discussion to consider meeting at a park.  Vote.  Motion passed.

April 2021 Membership meeting will be held using Zoom Meetings Virtual Format.  Robo call and email will be sent to membership.

  • NEW BUSINESS
  • GMS Kellogg – President Kowolonek met with new UWUA member.
  • New Call Center Hire – New class Monday, 29 March 2021, total 12. 
  • COVID Vaccine – Company 4 hours pay for those receiving vaccine (honor system) for both 1st and 2nd Vaccine – total hours paid 4.
  • Ohio Utilities Trade Council – President Kowolonek – Discussion – Goal to bring locals together to share information.  Appears to be a good idea.  Secretary Wallace made a motion that Local 600 joins the Ohio Utilities Trade Council.  Second by Delegate Knight.  Discussion – Join to get connected to others.  Have someone from Local 600 Board join, (meet once per month in via Zoom Meetings), held in Cleveland Ohio. See what it’s all about.  Can be anyone from board.  Motion Passed.  President Kowolonek will notify.  No cost to join.
  • REPORT OF OFFICERS, DELEGATES AND COMMITTEES
  • Treasurer Loerich – Discussion possible grievance in meter reading regarding medical emergency and how processed.
  • Delegate McLaughlin – Discussed department promotions (Main -2, Service – 1.)  Women’s Caucus – discussed training presentation via Zoom format, could be used to train board members, reps and delegates.  Training lasted 1 ½ days.  Sent presentation to President Kowolonek for review for use as a training tool for local.  President Kowolonek will also follow-up with National UWUA Rep – Kelly Cooper and Steve Wyatt regarding training for local.
  • Delegate Wright – would like to review the link for the Ohio Utilities Trade Council.  Delegate Wright has been selected to participate with SR Management in the HWRAA Safe Driving Team, it is an honor.  On this team will provide the safety team with a union perspective.  Also discussed reaching out to those in membership on STD.  Discussed STI – team goals that never came out (per President Kowolonek local 600 Membership doesn’t have team goals or individual goals (those are not mandatory for our membership.)
  • President Kowolonek – Discussed video presented by the National Women Caucus for training – regarding the NFL Cheerleaders and their struggle within the NFL for equal pay and treatment.  Attending 2 weeks training for Organizing for the National UWUA.  President Kowolonek will send email information to anyone who has an interest regarding union organizing.

Delegate Knight made a motion to adjourn.  Second by Delegate Jason King.  Meeting adjourned.