Find UsUnion Hall, 810 Brighton, Newport KY 41071

September 2021

General Board Meeting Minutes

September 23, 2021


Steve Kowolonek – President

Mike Hoffman – Vice President

David Loerich – Treasurer

DL Wallace – Secretary


Holly McLaughlin – Area A

Aaron Wright – Area A

Illyana Long – Area A

Lovell Knight – Area B

Victoria King – Area B

Jason King – Area B

The Meeting was called to order by President Kowolonek, via Zoom Platform (due to COVID-19.)

The Pledge of Allegiance occurred.

A moment of Silence was observed for deceased members of UWUA Local 600.

Roll call was taken by Treasurer Loerich.  All board members present.

A motion was made by Delegate Long to omit the reading of the minutes from August 26, 2021 and for all to review copy of minutes received via email draft for approval.  Second by Delegate Jason King.  Motion passed.  Approved.   A copy of Minutes will be posted on the Local 600 website.

The financial Report was given by Treasurer Loerich.  A motion was made by Delegate Long to except the reading of the financial report by Treasurer Loerich.  Second by Vice President Kowolonek.  Motion passed. Approved.  Copy of the Financial Report is on file at Local 600 office.

Communications – President Kowolonek – None

Unfinished Business – President Kowolonek

  • Gas Conference – all hotel registrations cancelled.  President Kowolonek will follow-up to confirm receipt of all room being cancelled.
  • Grievance # 445 – Treasurer Loerich – Unfair Discipline – waiting on answer from 2nd step of grievance process.  New management needed to review they have twenty (20) days to reply.
  • Grievance # 416 – Meeting held with Local 600 (in attendance – President Kowolonek, Vice-President Hoffman and Secretary Wallace) with Management.  Management stated Arbratation was dropped by UWUA Local 600 (prior), due to resolution.  Local 600 will review to file grievance again. 
  • Gibson Letter Discussion – Relating to review of job performance.
  • Meeting with Dynegy – held 14 September 2021 – in attendance – President Kowolonek, Vice-President Hoffman, Kelly Cooper – UWUA Regional Representative. Discussion with membership working at Zimmer and Miami Fort locations regarding closing and compensation.  Regional Representative Kelly Cooper brings experience with plant closing to assist in discussions.
  • COBE Training – Discussion with UWUA Local – Legal Representative regarding information regarding content included in training.  President Kowolonek will review for changes that need to be discussed with management.
  • Call Center – New Call Center Class and New RSR’s – President Kowolonek.
  • Delegate Wright – Meet with management to discuss Control Tech II & III in Gas Loading.  There are three (3) levels – I, II and III.  Discussion regarding 2015 Job re-evaluation committee and how the levels were affected and changed.  Tech II & III levels transitioned to T7.  Discussion regarding possible combining of job levels.  Questions regarding Over-Time pay and time in positions before movement to next level.  There is no deviation from required education, must have to move to next level, however there can be ½ time requirement (in years) before movement to next level.

President Kowolonek will check to have Control Tech I review in field what they do and ask LR – management to go to field to review job functions.  The educational requirements for these positions are the at the highest level for positions in UWUA Local 600.

  • Work from Home – President Kowolonek – discussions regarding enhancements UWUA Local 600 allowed membership to take that do not represent a loss for any of membership.
  • Work Mandates – COVID – President Kowolonek – discussed how membership can be affected by company issued mandates – Duke issues company mandates requirements for workers and Government declares worker mandates, (this would be in the form of a Federal mandate.)  UWUA Local 600 cannot grieve regarding a Federal mandate but can negotiate some issues surrounding requirements.
  • Treasurer Loerich – Discussion Company Vaccine survey – when answering would not be fully vaccinated with only one (1) shot if requirement were for two (2) shots.  President Kowolonek will review information.
  • Delegate Victoria King – Would like information to make donation directly to Reset Ministries (for Local 600 Women’s Caucus) as an individual.  Also discussed information regarding survey and vaccine timelines (misleading.)  Call Center employee and reporting to office challenge within the call center.
  • President Kowolonek – Discussion regarding New System – Customer Connect – will scheduled meeting for training clarifications for those in membership affected.
  • Delegate McLaughlin – Discussed – Local 600 Women’s Caucus – Volunteer Project with Reset Ministries (for the Sober House.) scheduled for Saturday, 16 October 2021 from 9am-1pm at 718 Columbia Street, Newport Ky 41071 – Volunteers are needed.  Also discussed needed for membership interested in working with the Local 600 Women’s Caucus to have online meeting, for those interested. 
  • Delegate Wright – Discussion Sr. T & D Design Technician vacancy in Transmission.  

Delegate Long made a motion to adjourn.  Second by Delegate Jason King.  Motion passed.  Meeting adjourned.